Tuesday, July 8, 2008

So, I went to Montreal...

Canada, for the International Festival of Jazz this past weekend (it's the largest jazz festival in the world, might I add). As I explored the Jazz Fest, I noticed many strange things, one of which was


a man on stilts dressed like a spider. Considering I am totally creeped out about spiders, I wanted to get away from it as fast as humanly possible!


The Jazz Festival is held in Montreal every year and lasts for 11 days. Even though it's called the jazz festival, there is really all kinds of music there. I would say it's more "world" music. The crowd is very diverse, with people from probably every culture you can think of there. The photo above was taken at the closing concert of the festival. There was a crowd of several thousand people including tiny babies to 90 year olds. The crowd was very happy and well-behaved, dancing in the streets and just enjoying the music. One of the things I noticed is that something like this could never happen in the United States for the following reasons:

1. There would be way too many drunk and roudy people there for parents to bring their small children.

2. People would be talking loud and obnoxiously and most likely dancing "dirty."

3. Young people would have to be careful because of pervs on the loose.

Personally, I thought it was amazing how people didn't have to worry about getting mugged or harassed walking back to their hotels.

McDonald's. They're everywhere! How much you wanna bet that one day they'll take over the world?

I was walking down as street when I saw this. It must have been about a block long. I love urban art!

We also went to Old Montreal. It was very quaint and reminded me of my days walking down the streets of Rome --with gelato shops and all!

All in all, Montreal was superb and I suggest one year you go there.





2 comments:

Ruby Hoppen said...

hey thanks for your comment!
I love Montreal, it's amazing. I missed the jazz festival this year- but hopefully next year I'll be able to catch it!
Your blog is lovely, with lots of interesting posts, I think if you want more people to read or even comment (I'm sure there are lots of lurkers) you just have to comment everyone!
x

A. said...

thanks for your advice ruby mae!